Is being interesting natural or a skill that can be improved upon? Are you interesting to other people? Do you find yourself being left out in the cold when it comes to conversations and general social situations? Would you like to have you and your art to get noticed and be a little more interesting to others while still being yourself? If you want you, your work or your business to be noticed, if nothing else, be interesting…
If a person is not interesting, what are they then? I don’t need to tell you. A lot of people want to be liked. Me too. Having said that I would rather be interesting than be liked; and If you are interesting, you are probably be likeable. If you are involved in any creative endeavors, business, teaching, and just about anything else, it sure helps not to put people to sleep when you are in action. Below is a simple checklist that almost anybody can use as a barometer:
- Be a good conversationalist. If you can talk to anybody – great. If not, read this article for a very simple technique on how to start a conversation with anyone. It’s easier than you think.
- Be a good listener. God gave most of us two ears and one mouth. Most of the time we use them in the reverse proportion. So often people just want to be heard. If you will listen, and let them talk, they will think you are smart and interesting.
- Ask questions. When talking with clients, collectors, customers, virtually anybody, ask questions. Who do people like to talk about? themselves! (kids, family, home, vacation ) Just ask them, and be a good listener.
- Keep learning. The world is moving at warp speed. It’s changing and evolving. You don’t need to know everything, but keep up. Even if it’s just a little. By the way, have you heard about 3-D printers and graphine? Whoa!
- Talk just a little faster. I read a recent study about how people who talked a little faster (not louder) were thought of as more authoritative and more successful. Don’t ramble on and on.
- Know who you are. Easy to write, not so easy in real life at times. There is an old saying “If you don’t stand for something, You’ll fall for anything.” If you know who you are and what you’re about, people may not always agree, but they will remember you.
- Be Bolder, with humility. Nobody likes a blow-hard. Nobody respects wish-wash. Know yourself, be who you must be, but realize the universe does not revolve around you or I.
- Accentuate your natural gifts (humor, physical, talents, etc.) If you’ve been blessed with a special talent or ability, and you like it, go with it! Are you funny? Ham it up. Like to draw and paint…do it. Want to write? Get busy. Don’t waste any more time and don’t make any apologies.
- Smile More. I am drawn to people who smile more, aren’t you? There is just something about a smile that makes everything just a bit better.
Be Interesting – Be a Magnet
Life is short, and it’s not easy sometimes. Put as many things in your favor as possible. Attract people and opportunity. Make it count. Be interesting, don’t be boring.
Thank You for reading CashArtBlog…I really am trying to be interesting. What’s in your mind and your heart will come out on the canvas, so it pays to talk about it once in a while. You can get free updates from this blog by typing your email address in the box at the top right of this page. It’s easy, confidential and free.