Great Art Quotes can be more than just a bunch of words on paper. They in and of themselves can teach. They can give your artitude a boost when you may need it, and great art quotes can be, but are not necessarily from, the pens or the mouths of artists with a household name…
Art Quotes on Oil Painting
Below I present to you 20 art quotes on painting that I hope will be worthy of remembering, hanging on your wall, or passing along to someone else. If you like it, feel free to print this list off and use it however you want. You can also pass it along through email, or share it with others by using the bar icon at the end of the article.
20 Great Art Quotes on Oil Painting
1. “Painting is about three things. It’s about revelation, communication, and celebration.” Ken Howard
2. “Painting is an attempt to come to terms with life. There are as many solutions as there are human beings.” George Tooker
3. “I don’t paint how it looks, I paint how it feels.” Robert Wade
4. “The painting has a life of it’s own. I try to let it come through.” Jackson Pollock
5. “A Painting without emotion is like a tree without roots.” Ray Wilkins
6. “The first virtue of a painting is that it be a feast for the eyes.” Eugene Delcroix
7. “The Painter must leave the beholder something to guess.” Ernst Gumbrich
8. “When you go out and paint, try and forget what you have before you – a tree, a house, a field or whatever. Merely think, here is a little square of blue, here an oblong of pink, here a streak of yellow, and paint it just as it looks to you, the exact colour and shape, until it emerges as your own naive impression of the scene before you.” Caude Monet
9.”There is a difference in painting things and learning to paint.” David Leffel
10. “When I hesitate, I do not paint. When I paint, I do not hesitate.” Jean-Paul Riopelle
11. “Paint like a fiend when the idea possesses you.” Robert Henri
12. “To paint is to know how to put nothing on canvas, and have it look like something when you stand back.” Robert Henri
13. “I have always thought of painting as some kind of gift. And as a gift, there is a duty that comes with it: To push painting as far as you can. Artists serve society simply by producing a good painting, and that’s the hardest thing in the world. People think it’s a lark, it’s not.” Sonia Getchoff
14. “The activity of painting: A thrilling tussle between the artist’s materials and his inspiration.” Mervyn Levy
15. “Paint the necessary, Ignore the obvious.” Bill Hosner
16. “Many times we destroy our work by going back over it again and again. I tell my students, the more strokes it takes, the more mud it makes.” Sandra Meyer
17. “Making a painting is somewhat of a self portrait without painting your face.” Debbie High
18. “Painting is having something to say, and saying it in your own words.” Dan Young
19. “Painting is much more than a pastime or a hobby. It’s a way to place our energy, feelings, and soul before the viewer.” Stephen Quiller
20. “It took me four years to paint like Raphael, but a lifetime to paint like a child.” Pablo Picasso
Oil Painting – 20 Great Art Quotes
Once you paint long enough, you will probably come up with some of your own art quotes. When you do, share them with the world! I wrote an article featuring some great art quotes about drawing a while back. If your interested you can check out that post on drawing quotes here.
How about leaving a comment or subscribing? It’s fast, confidential, easy, and free. To subscribe, just click on the orange button at the top right. If your not sure about the whole subscription thing, this article on RSS will help.
Oil Painting – 20 Great Art Quotes – Thanks For Reading!